Thursday 5 May 2011

Chocolate Brownies

Everyone loves Chocolate.In the evening we daren't do a menu without chocolate! From Chocolate bread and butter pudding to chocolate pecan pie,chocolate fondants,white chocolate berry tart,chocolate mousse,and of course the ultimate chocolate gateaux . When I was younger and a an exceptionally keen chef I travelled down to Gidleigh Park to visit the kitchen's of the famous Shaun Hill  for a few days. It took me 7 hours to drive there from little Berwick and to my great surprize there was a Geordie Head chef  called 'Duncan Walker''who was absolutly brilliant and I will never forget him. Where are you now Duncan? He was a really rough tough guy and he could cook the most sublime food.  He used to laugh at me all the time I was such a Pollyanna! However It was a real eye opener. I had been  a self taught cook up till then and it really opened my eyes how tough and miserable professional kitchens could be. He had lost his license through drink and driving (Gidleigh Park is miles from everywhere) Shaun was a very heavy drinker too. They hated the punters as they called them , they certainly couldn't relate to them. I was saddened by the experience and it made me realise I didn't want anything like that in my future. The worn out pastry chef was simply there to get Gidleigh Park on his CV so too were 75% of the others.I was really surprized that it was the total opposite of what I imagined............... but that is the thing about life  many things aren't what they seem!!.  So I tell myself don't assume .
Anyways Chocolate Brownies are a   huge success at Sallyport and this recipy was given to us by an excellent pastry chef last year.In the evening we serve it with whipped cream or doddington award winning ice-cream. We also make our own special sauce to drape over it to give it a real decadent feel.  And Hey I love my customers and I wouldn't do this job if I didn't.............so thankyou Moira for your beautiful card .


Ingredients:

14ozs dark choc
12ozs of butter
6 eggs beaten
11b 2oz of caster sugar
teasp of vanilla essence
8ozs of plain flour
7ozs of walnuts chopped

Melt the butter with the chocolate in a bain marie and stir together until it is all mixed through. cool. In your Kenwood Chef whisk the eggs and caster sugar until very thick. Then whisk in the chocolate and finally stir in the flour and walnuts. Pour into a lined tin and bake at 160 degrees for 50 mins.
Leave for 30 mins to set when it comes out of the oven

No comments:

Post a Comment