Wednesday 18 May 2011

Scottish Shortbread home-made

 Like many of you I too have been  watching The Apprentice on Television  tonight where the two teams had to source 10 items for the Savoy. I wish I had been team leader  don't you,all the products were from the hospitality business and it would have been huge fun to do.Alan Sugar gets alot of stick but at least he has a strong mind and kept the integrity of the programme whereas Masterchef has gone all silly ........more like X Factor.I think Lord Sugar is cool.............and Karen Brady is fantastic too. A great business role model for women.
I'v been making shortbread since I was a kid. I was brought up on it and I have to say my mothers recipy was delicious. Not only was she a teacher but she could bake well too. I make shortbread every week at Sallyport and customers get it in their rooms on their tea tray as well as being sold in the brasserie. Shortbread is great with a very light pudding like a lemon posset and this time of year we are trying to make lots of light fruity puddings. The secret of great shortbread is to use real butter and to cook it gently. Here is my recipy.Enjoy

11b Butter
8ozs Caster Sugar
11b Plain flour
1 teasp of salt
8ozs Ground Rice

Method
Beat the butter and sugar together in a Kenwood Mixer( really important that you have one if you want to bake regularly) then add the other ingredients. Knead into a ball and roll out and cut into circles or at Xmas Christmas Trees!
Bake at 170 for 20 mins. When lightly brown remove and sprinkle immediately with caster sugar.
 For various changes you could add some grated orange  rind or a teasp of cinnamon or a hand full of best quality chocolate drops

No comments:

Post a Comment