Sunday 29 May 2011

The ultimate Steak Sandwich with basil aioli and caramelized onions

I love a steak sandwich and I love really good toasted bread  to go with it (at the moment we are using focaccia made from the Great Northumberland  bread company at Cornhill and home-made garlic mayo.

We use Martin Redpath's cheviot Sirloin steak  and we tenderize it by  cutting a slice then putting it between two pieces of cling film and beating it flat. I used my rolling pin last night and I beat it so hard I broke it. I made the boys laugh in the kitchen I told the boys to think of somebody you don't like and beat the meat so it is beautiful and level and very thin. Then Chargrill the beef for a minute each side and while you are doing that grill the  flavoursome cut  bread after you have brushed it with garlic oil. (the smell will knock you for six). Drizzle some pesto over the bread, and heat some caramelized onions up and start making up your sandwich. You have to serve it while it is hot so you learn to prep well and work fast. The tender beef the caramelized onions the garlic the mayo the hot garlic bread..................is a true treat
A word of warning you can't be mean with the beef .In the sandwich I ate at The townhouse in Melrose on Friday and I would be lucky if I got 2ozs of steak in my steak sandwich and it was cut up so small  if you blinked you would miss the beef .At Sallyport the beef is the star. You can serve it with a warm potato salad or hand-cut chips and a  beautiful side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment