Monday 16 May 2011

Fresh spring Vegetables

It is now getting very close to when the baby beetroot should be available also British grown carrots and  Scottish peas ,broad beans and baby turnips. We are really fed up of the fine beans our veg supplier has been giving us...............................they are pre-cut and pre-wrapped and generally something you don't want to use. When we complain he just says there are non others in the market.If we had time ,we would go to the market ourselves but it is a 120 mile round trip so that isn't the answer.Getting someone to grow vegetables for us locally would be ideal. Roy already grows herbs for us and brings in Lovage ( a relation to the celery family) and wild garlic, mint etc. We get our heritage potatoes from Tiptoe farm at Cornhill. So  my next project is  to get all our veg grown locally especially as they will be so healthy for us all and full of flavour.At the end of the day that is what our job as chefs is, to present the general public with the best flavours  a food can produce and its not about adding lots of butter and cream.............but cutting down on food miles and eating food in season. I'm on a special detox diet at the moment of fruit and vegetables and nuts for 10 days .My nutritional advisor has said that I'v got all these aches and pains and I'v got to detox! I'v got a frozen shoulder and arthritis in my knee,terrible sore feet and generally falling apart . Richard has given me sulpher to take for my frozen shoulder so we will see what happens.............watch this space.It was great at the Royal Wedding reception all the vegetables came from ''Highgrove'' and what was wonderful was they were served without cream or butter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment