Wednesday 27 April 2011

Hot Buttered Oak smoked Kippers

I'v been making breakfasts for years and have always liked to move with the times but one all time  favourite that I can't re-invent is oak smoked Kippers from Patrick Wilkin in seahouses. He has one of  the last official smoke houses in Northumberland and his  Kippers are totally amazing.  Until recently he didn't buy any herring from abroad to smoke (it was all from the north sea) but he can't get enough locally so he has to buy in from  abroad now. He is one of Rick Stein's food hero's.When I did a cookery proramme for television I included a visit to Patricks smoke house. You reek of smoke afterwards!
 As Kippers have a very strong smell  that can linger in the kitchen for hours and hours I usually wrap them up in foil  with a knob of butter and bake  them in a extreemly hot oven for 10 mins.  Serve with a wedge of lemon ,dill, a knob of butter and hot buttered toast. Normally you would serve a pair of kippers  per person or you can add a poached egg.
I personally don't eat fish but there you go  luckily I  can still cook it for other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment