Thursday 28 April 2011

Strawberry Cream teas

I was brought up on Scones. It was the staple diet of the farming community in the 70's. My mother used to bake every saturday morning and she used to fill the cake tins with all sorts of goodies.  It was wonderful. At 4 o clock on the dot they would stop for afternoon tea every day.  The table would be properly set with china,The tea pot would be warmed up with boiling water and rinsed out.Loose tea was always used from  the tin tea caddy and it was always one for the pot and one for the person and it had to brew for 3 mins. ( afterwards the old tea leaves mixed with oatmeal went to feed my rabbit !) My dad used to come in from the farm and take a much needed break  before he went out to milk the Ayrshire herd of cows with my mum.
 I'm not surprized  afternoon teas have taken off again.With money being tight getting back to basics is really important  and being happy being creative is the reward.Being able to have the skills to make your own strawberry jam ,blackcurrent or raspberry jam and put it on your own home-made scones is pretty cool.We  live in such a fast paced society , we get pulled away from our roots and our traditions too easily now is the time to take them back.  

At  1 Sallyport we make afternoon tea so much fun our customers love all the selection of loose teas that we have  so come along and  enjoy the experience.Bring Granny and the kids, yes we  even have a high chair and disabled access. Also you can bring a well behaved dog !
My own  background  to cooking is a  nice story ,I was  lucky to be adopted (when I was 6 weeks old ) by a family in the Scottish Borders who liked to bake .I had a natural affinity to cooking so it was a huge help to be brought up on a farm by a mother who was a  good home cook and baker . ( She was also a history  teacher) I got my first mini rolling pin and pastry set when I was 4 years old and I'v never stopped baking since!  I was totally hooked, when I wasn't in the kitchen I can  remember , aged 6 playing out in the farm yard for hours and hours making my pretend pies and selling them.By the time I  was 12 I was helping others learn to cook in my class at school.
Anyways here is my mums old  recipy for fruit Scones .I bake them every day so  Dean ( my son) have a go and impress your girlfriend!enjoy

FRUIT SCONES

1 pound of SR Flour
2 teasp of BP
pinch of salt
2ozs of caster sugar
2 ozs Butter
2 ozs of lard
2 ozs rasins or currents or cherries or sultanas or ginger!
Milk to make a firm dough
egg wash

Heat your oven to 200 and grease your baking tray
Rub your fats into your dry ingredients which you have seived first into a bowl
There should be no lumps!
Add milk to combine into a very firm dough
Roll out on a floured board,cut into rounds,egg wash and bake for 10 to 15mins
Cool on a wire tray
Eat with Lurpack butter and good quality jam

Add some whipped cream and strawberries if you wish to indulge in a very special holiday treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment